In 1864, Charlottetown became the place of the Charlottetown Conference for representatives from colonies of British North America to discuss the Canadian Confederation. The conference consisted of five delegates from each of the three Maritime Provinces and eight delegates from the Province of Canada.
The conference mainly occurred at the colony’s legislative building, Province House. Some social functions such as dinners and banquets were held at other venues, including Government House.
Now Province House is Prince Edward Island’s provincial legislature and a National Historic Site. (165 Richmond St, Charlottetown, PE C1A 1J1).
Government House often referred to as Fanningbank, is the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island and a National Historic Site (1 Terry Fox Dr, Charlottetown, PE C1A 8T6).
The famous image of delegates of the Charlottetown Conference on the steps of Government House.
Photos: Laurenp3412, CC BY-SA 3.0; Share Bear, public domain