Niagara-on-the-Lake is a well-preserved 19th-century village. The historic centre had been designated as a provincial Heritage Conservation District under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1986.
The town was established in 1792 when it was chosen as the first capital of Upper Canada and named Newark by Lieutenant-Governor John G. Simcoe. The town became a British military site.
Photo: Pierre André, Wikimedia Commons