This stone building is late Neoclassical in style with a parged limestone finish. Known as Science Hall, it was built by mill owner William Algie as a community venue for lectures, concerts, plays and recitals. Algie was a ‘Free Thinker’ who believed that science together with knowledge and books provided life’s answers, rather than religious dogma. He frequently invited lecture guests from Europe and the USA and supported a full orchestra as well as a citizen’s band.
The hall also housed the Alton drama club organized by Algie’s brother Robert, a local merchant.
After William Algie’s death in 1914, the hall was sold to ‘Dods Knitting Co.’ and by the 1930s, had been converted into apartments.