On the escarpment, east of the Queenston Heights battlefield, limestone and shale deposits exist. These deposits became the Queenston Quarry. The Queenston Quarry was founded in 1837. For 150 years stone was shipped here to help build many of Ontario’s cities.
Toronto buildings that benefitted from the supply of stone included Queen’s Park, the Royal Ontario Museum, Union Station and the Gibraltar Point Lighthouse.