The bell once rested in the tower of the Old town Hall but had to be taken down when its moorings sustained damage. It was saved and mounted on the cairn as a historical exhibit.
The bell was commissioned from the Meneely Bell Foundry in West Troy, New York, for $643.45 in 1874. The first ringer was John Knarston. Up until 1900, the bell was rung to summon volunteer firefighters.
In 1916, the Robb family was named the town’s official bell ringers. They carried the tradition without fail until 2002 when the last bell ringer, Winnie (Robb) Todd – Alex’s mother -did her duty for the final time in 2002.