National Historic Site of Canada
On Labrador’s north shore, the Hopedale Moravian Mission is the largest and longest-running Moravian complex. Hopedale Mission was established by the Moravian Church in 1782.
The structures were built between 1817 and 1897. They are excellent examples of Moravian architecture in Labrador and reflect design influences from the regional styles of Central and Eastern Europe.
Hopedale, Moravian mission, Labrador, NL, 1881-85
The designation covers the seven structures, including the surrounding landscape and the provision house, mission house, church, dead house, storehouse, gunpowder hut, and boathouse.
Photos: Google Maps, Kate Krueger, Robert McSweeney; McCord Stewart Museum, MP-0000.636.7, Public Domain