Dr. Abraham Groves was well known as a medical innovator and surgeon. He was known for his pioneered work in the uses of sterilization and antiseptics.
Groves was born at Peterborough, The Groves family moved to a farm in Garafraxa Township in the 1850s. Groves attended the Grammar School in Fergus, Ontario.
In 1871, after graduating from the Toronto School of Medicine, Groves practised in Fergus for 60 years.
In 1902, he established the Fergus Royal Alexandra Hospital, later renamed the Groves Memorial Hospital.
In the early 1880s, he served on the Fergus Village Council. He built the first electric light plant in the area.