In 1907 the Canadian Pacific Railway opened a prominent “summer” station at the harbour. In 1927, six CPR train routes each way served Bala, four daily.
The Bala Weekend trains continued to serve the tourists until 1963 when the station was demolished.
The Summer train station was built where the Portage Landing parking lot is now, besides the steamship docks (also called the Bala Wharf and the area called Bala Harbour).
Photos: Vlad Umnov; F. W. Micklethwaite – This image is available from the Toronto Public Library under the reference number PC-ON 1248, Public Domain