St. Andrews Lock and Dam is the largest structure of its kind in the world!
St. Andrews Lock and Dam opened by former Prime Minister Sir Wilfred Laurier in 1910 in Lockport, Manitoba.
It was designed by H.E. Vautelet, an engineer from Montreal, so boats could easily navigate from Lake Winnipeg to the City of Winnipeg. For this to happen the Lister Rapids is flooded throughout the months of May to October.
The Lock and Dam is operated and maintained by the Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC), the facility consists of a dam, navigation lock, two-lane traffic bridge and a fish ladder so that migrating fish can pass through.