The idea of a bridge joining Canada and the United States between Buffalo and Fort Erie was discussed as early as 1853.
Alonzo Mather, an American born in Fairfield, NY, believed that a bridge should be built. He invested much of his fortune from the Union Stockyards Bank (Buffalo) in purchasing lands on the Canadian and American shores, at the places where the Peace bridge terminals now stand.
The agreement that resulted was that private investors would construct the bridge and recoup their investment through tolls until the bonds were retired, and then the bridge would become the property of the State of New York and the Dominion of Canada. Construction began in 1925.
On June 1st, 1927, the Peace Bridge was opened to the public. An official ceremony was held on August 7th, 1927.
The Peace Bridge consisted of five arched spans over the Niagara River and a Parker through-truss which spans the Black Rock Canal on the American side. The total length of this bridge is 1,770 m.
At night, it is a great place to see Peace Bridge aglow at night.