Nearly halfway between Montreal and Ottawa, L’Orignal is located on the banks of the Ottawa River. The “Most Beautiful Ten Hours Sail on the Continent” tour from Montreal to Ottawa was given by the Ottawa River Navigation Company steamers in the late 1800s for $1.75. Passengers could get off the steamers at the L’Orignal port and board a stage to Caledonia Springs. On the point at L’Orignal, a lighthouse was constructed in 1871 and put into service on October 10. The lighthouse had a white, hexagonal, thirty-foot-tall tower. The nearby McTavish Point Lighthouse and L’Orignal Lighthouse were also constructed at the same time.