National Historic Site
The Amherstburg Navy Yard was once a dockyard for the British Navy on the Upper Great Lakes. In 1796-1813, here were built the King’s ships Maria, Hope, Earl, Camden, General Hunter, Queen Charlotte, Lady Prevost, Chippewa, Little Belt and Detroit.
This well-kept site is located along the Detroit River. The site is filled with flowers, plant benches and informational plaques and historic statues.
With a waterfront ice cream parlour nearby, walking along the river with a scoop of ice cream is a popular activity in Amherstburg. Watch the boats go by and enjoy the scent of fresh flowers while catching up on some Amherstburg history.
Photo: jbcurio, Wikimedia Commons