Near the mouth of the Penetangore River is a historic lighthouse known as the Kincardine Lighthouse. It was built in 1881 above the light keeper’s home, standing 24.4 meters tall.
The tower has eight sides and is placed on a stone foundation. Back then, it was a safe harbour for shipping products. It serviced fishing and the local salt shipping industry and was a home for lumber and furniture companies.
Today, the tower and light keeper’s home have been transformed into a marine museum for the public.
Photo: Doug Kerr from Albany, NY, CC-BY-SA-2.0