Hatley Park National Historic Site
The Castle was built in 1908.
At the outbreak of World War II, contingency plans were made for King George VI, his wife Queen Elizabeth, and their two daughters, Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, to reside in Canada in the event of an invasion of Britain. Victoria BC was the backup site in case German troops reached the Midlands. The federal Crown-in-Council purchased Hatley Castle in 1940 for use as the King’s royal residence.
From 1941 until 1943, when Grant Block was completed, the Castle served as a dormitory and mess hall for cadets and staff officers at Royal Roads Military College.
It is now the administrative centre of Royal Roads University.
Photo: Smably, Public Domain