Erie Beach Amusement Park was located along Lake Erie, about 3.5 kilometres southwest of the Peace Bridge, and about 4 kilometres west across the Niagara River from Downtown Buffalo, New York.
The park began in 1885 as Snake Hill Grove and was a simple picnic area in the woods along the lake. The park catered primarily to Buffalo residents. In 1887, rail service – known by passengers as the “Sandfly Express” – began from a dock at the foot of Bertie Street on the Buffalo & Fort Erie Ferry Railway.
In 1904, a group of speculators bought land at Erie Beach, planning to build an amusement park, and sell lots around the park to vacationers from Buffalo. From the main gate, visitors could gambol down the beautiful lakefront promenade to the various midway concessions, casino, the world’s largest outdoor swimming pool, roller coaster rides, an elegant hotel, and two small stadiums featuring circus acts, as well as equestrian shows.
The last season of Erie Beach Amusement Park was 1930 It went bankrupt during the Depression and closed down on Labour Day weekend.
Today, much of the old amusement park is part of Waverly Beach Park. A concrete promenade was built in 2008 to go through the ruins of the amusement park, and to provide lakeside walking.