From: Cochrane, Alberta
William George Fox is a country/western music singer/songwriter. He was a leading figure in Canadian country music in the late 1980s and 1990s.
- Born in 1960 in Calgary, Alberta
- Raised in Cochrane, Alberta
- Lives in Ancaster, Ontario
Fox raised in Cochrane in the family of cattle ranchers. He lived, breathed and worked the farm and played in a rock band in his teens.
In 1981, when he was 21 years old, George went to Sweden on a farm exchange program. The host farmer asked Fox to bring along some country albums. Fox began listening to them and was hooked.
Upon his return, he began playing music in public on weekends. He sold some of his cows to invest $30,000 in the self-produced cassette recordings.
In 1988, one of Fox’s recordings is landed on the desk of a Warner Music executive. With the release of his first George Fox album in the same year country music fans discovered George Fox. Debut singles, “Angelina” and “Goldmine” were sent soaring up the country charts.
George Fox | Angelina
Fox has recorded 8 albums.
- the Canadian Country Music Awards ‘Male Vocalist Of The Year’ (1990, 1991, 1993)
- the Juno Awards ‘Country Male Vocalist Of The Year’ (1990, 1991, 1992)
In 1990 he starred in his own TV special for the CBC and guested on Anne Murray‘s Family Christmas (1998).
In 1995 Cochrane named a new street “George Fox Trail” in his honour.
George and his wife Monica live near Ancaster, southern Ontario. Memories of growing up in rural Canada, Fox’s love of the land and his respect for the working man have now taken George in a new direction. While continuing to write songs and tour, George has taken pen in hand and begun work on a book. He is the author of a book of short stories “My First Cow”.
George Fox | The Night The Barn Burned Down | Red River Relief Concert | Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1997
Cochrane is a town in Alberta located 18 km west of the Calgary. Cochrane is the second largest town in Alberta.
Cochrane was named after Senator Matthew Henry Cochrane, the man who established the Cochrane Ranche in 1881. The Canadian Pacific Railway granted the town site in 1885 and named it in honour of Senator Cochrane.